Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Yogurty Day...And A Crazy Weekend Recap!

So far, all I have eaten today has been yogurt, fruit and granola. Breakfast was the Strawberry Granola Parfait at Panera Bread, which was oh so good, lunch was a quick stop on the road - McDonald's Fruit and Yogurt Parfait, which was just ok, but it met my needs and held me over, and now that we've arrived home, my dinner has been a container of Fage with half a cup of Kashi Golean Crunch - alas, no fruit, as I used it all up on Friday before we left for the weekend. You may be wondering WHY on earth am I eating so much yogurt...well, we've been eating "out" since Friday and frankly, my stomach just couldn't take it anymore. Even with portion control and choosing healthy foods (like the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich at Panera on Friday...and Saturday), it's just different food than I'm used to eating.

It is hard to eat well when you are out of your element - and on Friday morning we drove to 3 1/2 hours to help move our younger son into an apartment - he and our older son are now living together. After we got there, we of course had lunch at Panera Bread - love that place so much! We don't have one in my town, so the only time I get to eat there is when we go visit the boys at school.

Then we bought Max a bed, strapped it to the top of our Explorer and brought it to the apartment, set it up and then I started cleaning while the boys were moving stuff in and all around. Holy crap, that kitchen needed a good scrubbing! It was a lot of work, but fun to see the place evolve.

Later on, we cleaned ourselves up and took the boys out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner to celebrate the end of the school year and their excellent grades. I had a 6 oz. sirloin, half of a plain baked potato and the house salad - no croutons or cheese and dressing on the side. It was a big meal for me, but I felt fine afterward.

Saturday morning, we were up at 7 am and shortly after were on the road to Frisco, Texas - home of IKEA, where we planned on buying cheap lamps, a couple of dressers, a set of dishes...stuff like that. Imagine our shock when we arrived thirty minutes before the store opened to see people lined up outside! When did IKEA get that popular? Turns out, there was a special $50 off coupon for this chair - you would have thought they were giving away gold by the amount of people lining up for it! It was freaking insane. The line started downstairs, went upstairs, wound all through the showroom, went back downstairs, wound through that showroom, and finally into the warehouse. So the entire time we were shopping we kept having to cut through mobs of people - who were standing in line for A CHAIR. Oh, it was fun.<----insert sarcasm here. And because IKEA is like 4 hours away from our home, it's not as if we could have simply left and gone back the next weekend. So we trudged on. Found what we needed, got everything, stood in line WITH ALL OF THE CHAIR PEOPLE at the registers to pay and were finally on our way back to the apartment. Really, the entire time inside the store only took about 2 1/2 hours, but it felt like we had been beaten and thrown to the wolves.

After a stop at Panera for lunch (I told you I like that place!), we went back to the apartment, unloaded the car and for any of you who have bought stuff at IKEA, you know what we did next: spent the next few hours putting furniture together! Actually, it wasn't bad, but it did take quite a while to "build" everything. More cleaning, hanging, moving stuff ensued, and around 7 pm we all were tired, hungry and not in the mood to get cleaned up and go anywhere, so the boys went out and picked up some pizza - and while I could have made a fuss about getting something healthier, I figured "what's the worst that could happen - I just eat more calories than I normally would, right?"

If only that were true! I got so sick later that night - sharp pains hit me just at the edge of my rib cage. Which then seemed to go through directly to my upper back. No nausea, nothing "stomach" related - but pain, and lots of it. Hours (and lots of Maalox) later, it finally subsided. I'm guessing the two slices of Little Caesar's pepperoni pizza were the ultimate culprit, but all I can really think is that after a year of eating "clean" this kind of food was just too much for my system. The only thing good to come out of this is that I know I will remember just how bad I felt and will be much more diligent with my food choices in the future. Never again, if it's in my control.

So now you are all caught up with my crazy weekend - we are home, Paco the Wonder Dog was well-cared for by our neighbor's son, the cats seem to have forgiven us for abandoning them, and I am off to go read all y'alls blogs!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, your boys have very generous parents! I think the only thing I got from my parents when I moved out was an iron. :-) Sorry about the pains...maybe it was aggravated by having to deal with the #$*^@%&# chair people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKEA can be an absolute beating! After one trip, I vowed to never go again! You are a braver woman than I.

    Sorry for the post pizza pain and I hope you are on the mend. Congrats on your boys' good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live about 3 miles from that IKEA. Next time, swing by and say "Hi". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thrilled to have found your blog. I am just starting my weight loss journey & think you are an inspiration!!! I look forward to reading you on a regular basis. Please feel free to stop by my blog to make sure I'm staying on track. http://www.losingmybodyfat.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. you were a really awesome mom to face that crowd at ikea. i would have said, "sorry! mom's outta here!" my claustrophobia couldn't take that kind of beating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to an Ikea, but your story scares me! lol Maybe I won't ever go. lol

    I bet your weekend was absolutely lovely with your boys! Congrats to them for having super grades!

    Hope you're feeling much better by now and enjoy your own food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. everyone I know went to ikea yesterday. sisters friends bloggypeeps Ive never met all over the USA---that was enough to get me not to go :)

    heard it was CRAZY.
    (I dont do crazy well with a toddler :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, hard to eat healthy on the road most times, but you handled it like a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't have been able to cope with that Ikea madness, lol!

    Must be the new richer food that your stomach didn't like - hopefully it will settle down after a few days eating gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like pizza triggered gallbladder attack?
    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel a horror movie script coming on . . . Attack of the Killer Chair People . . . . Sit Now or Die!

    I hear you about the difficulty of staying on plan when eating out. A yogurty day sounds like a good way to get back on track and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a busy weekend! Love Panera too - their broccoli cheese soup is amazing!

    My husband went with me to Ikea ONCE. He could't stand that crowds!

    Sorry about the pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of a pub crawl before but never quite a yogurt-and-granola crawl.. you are always the trailblazer, Shelley.

    Your boys are lucky to have such a great mom. Sounds like a very busy weekend. And Panera...Mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Shelley,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I live in Austin, TX and have been here for about 2 1.2 years. I am loving Texas though all the great food here doesn't make things easy! I am truly amazed by your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lOVE Ikea but only go on weekdays when everyone else is working because it makes me CRAZY.

    I ate an entire (big) bag of gummy bears once after eating well for almost a year and I thought I was going to die, I remember laying on my bed and rocking myself my stomach hurt so bad!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated to prevent spammers from leaving, well, spam - but rest assured that as soon as I read a real comment, I will publish it. So please, comment away, even though the blog is officially closed. Thanks!